There is no end of opportunity for walks and hikes around the shores of Lake Como, and the slopes of the surrounding mountains. These links take you to pdf descriptions of these walks that you can print off and take along. All are well within the capabilities of an averagely fit family. Take water with you.
- The Greenway del Lago, an easy walk in five stages, from Colonno to Griante, exploring the villages on this part of the lake, and for the most part avoiding the main road.
- Walk around Ossuccio and Lenno, A circular stroll for about an hour and a half.
- From Menaggio, Parco Val Senagra walk, a fascinating glimpse of history.
- From Menaggio/Nobiallo, the ancient Via Regina pilgrim path to Acquaseria (one and a half hours).
- From Croce to La Crocetta, stopping to visit the WW1 trenches.
- Following the old road at lake level from Acquaseria to Menaggio.
- The old cobbled mule track from Gravedona to Domaso
Exploring higher up
These easy walks on or near lake level are delightful, every turn showing a new perspective. But nothing can beat the thrill of discovering the mountains surrounding the lake. They are crisscrossed by hundreds of ancient paths, not all of them well signposted, so it is a great idea to join one of the organised hikes offered by Mario and Francesca of Hiking Como Lake. They are qualified group guides and love to share their knowledge and experience of the region. If one of the organised hikes doesn’t fit your plans, they are happy to arrange a bespoke hiking experience for you, at reasonable prices. Just don’t forget to pack your walking boots and a light waterproof jacket.
As a taster, click for a video of a December hike to Sant’Amate and Rifugio Menaggio.